FiltresRéinitialiser les filtres
Voici les éléments 1 - 10 sur 10
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementThe meaning of jolts by fish clients of cleaning gobiesCooperative interactions offer the inherent possibility of cheating by each of the interacting partners. A key challenge to behavioural observers is to recognize these conflicts, and find means to measure reliably cheating in natural interactions. Cleanerfish Labroides dimidiatus cheat by taking scales and mucus from their fish clients and such dishonest cleaning has been previously recognized in the form of whole-body jolts by clients in response to cleaner mouth contact. In this study, we test whether jolts may be a general client response to cheating by cleaners. We experimentally varied the ectoparasite loads of yellowtail damselfish (Microspathodon chrysurus), a common client of the cleaning goby Elacantinus evelynae, and compared the rates of jolts on parasitized and deparasitized clients. As predicted if jolts represent cleaner cheating, deparasitized clients jolted more often than parasitized clients, and overall jolt rates increased over time as client parasite load was presumably reduced by cleaning activity. Yellowtail damselfish in the wild jolted significantly less frequently than those in captivity, which is consistent with a loss of ectoparasites during capture. Our results suggest that jolts by clients of cleaning gobies are not related to the removal of ectoparasites. Client jolts may therefore be a generally accurate measure of cheating by cleanerfish.
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementHormonal mechanisms of cooperative behaviour(2010)
;Soares, Marta ; ;Fusani, Leonida ;Goymann, Wolfgang ;Hau, Michaela ;Hirschenhauser, KatharinaOliveira, Rui F.
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementOn the absence of punishment, partner switching and tactile stimulation in the cleaning goby - client mutualism(2008)
;Soares, Marta ;Côté, Isabelle ;Cardoso, Sonia
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementDoes access to the bluestreak cleaner wrasse Labroides dimidiatus affect indicators of stress and health in resident reef fishes in the Red Sea?(2011)
; ;Lusa, Jeanne ;Meyer, Meghann ;Soares, Marta ;Oliveira, Rui F. ;
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementDoes competition for clients increase service quality in cleaning gobies?In a biological market, members of one trading class try to outbid each other to gain access to the most valuable partners. Competition within class can thus force individuals to trade goods or services more cheaply, ultimately resulting in conflict (e.g. cheating) over the value of commodities. Cleaning symbioses among fish appear to be good examples of biological markets. However, the existence and effect of outbidding competition among either types of traders (cleaners or clients) have never been tested. We examined whether increasing competition among cleaning gobies (Elacatinus spp.) for access to clients results in outbidding in the form of provision of a better cleaning service. On reefs where fish clients visited cleaning stations less frequently, and thus competition among cleaners was higher, cleaning gobies ingested fewer scales relative to the number of ingested parasites, i.e. they cleaned more honestly. This shift in cleaner behaviour towards greater honesty is consistent with a greater market value of access to clients in the face of competition among cleaners. However, this pattern could have also arisen as a result of differences in ectoparasite availability across reefs and therefore in value of the commodity offered by clients. Experimental manipulations will be required to determine whether cleaning service quality by cleaning gobies was enhanced solely because of competitive outbidding.
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementTactile stimulation lowers stress in fish(2011)
;Soares, Marta ;Oliveira, Rui F. ; ;Grutter, Alexandra S.
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementIndo-Pacific parrotfish exert partner choice in interactions with cleanerfish but Caribbean parrotfish do not(2013)
;Soares, Marta ;Cardoso, Sonia C. ;Nicolet, Katia J. ;Cote, Isabelle M.
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementArginine Vasotocin Regulation of Interspecific Cooperative Behaviour in a Cleaner Fish(2012)
;Soares, Marta ; ;Mendonca, Rute ;Grutter, Alexandra S.Oliveira, Rui F.
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementFace Your Fears: Cleaning Gobies Inspect Predators despite Being Stressed by Them(2012)
;Soares, Marta ; ;Cardoso, Sonia C. ;Cote, Isabelle M.Oliveira, Rui F.
- PublicationMétadonnées seulementArginine Vasotocin Neuronal Phenotype and Interspecific Cooperative Behaviour(2013)
;Mendonca, Rute ;Soares, Marta ;Oliveira, Rui F.